Headphone Heights

For 2K, assuming that you already own at least one source component ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Headphone Heights ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

For starters?

- HiFiman HE-400S planar or Sennheiser HD-600 dynamic (as long as you don't need closed-back, noise-isolating headphones). $300 for either. The HE-400s is much easier to drive than the HD-600 is, so keep that in mind if you ever plan on using a portable source for amplification. Either one of these headphones can provide you with a *comfortable, non-fatiguing, pleasing tonal balance* (very important!) when driven by a very good heapdhone amp.

- For versatile and seriously good amplification, I'd look at the Decware CSP3 OTL tube preamp/headamp for $1279. Obviously, I don't recommend scrimping on amplification as it is can make the crucial difference in headphone listening. With the CSP3, you will probably NEVER feel the need to upgrade your headphone amplification ever again - unless you get onto the really difficult-to-drive planars made by the likes of Audeze.

BTW, I don't like most planars because they can feel very heavy on the head, mostly because they ARE. The HE-400S planar, however, is a bit lighter than most...

That should leave you with almost $400 left over for aftermarket cable upgrades, should you wish to go down that route.

If you decide to go with noise isolating closed-back headphones, I would recommend going for the best there is, those that typically cost over $1000. This would also leave you with much less to spend on decent amplification. To my ears, all but the best closed-back headphones have a "closed-in" sound that I don't like. In contrast, decent open-backed headphones have a much more "open", airy and natural sound.

And Hey, let us know how it goes...

Edits: 05/02/16   05/02/16   05/02/16   05/02/16

Follow Ups: