Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Sound coming from the front with HPs.

"sensation of sound (even of low quality) coming from the front was amazing.
Was quite clearly coming from the tv screen !
If only i knew how that could have happened."

It will be an extreme version of what I have already described. There are devices available on the pro market that will produce strange spacial effects from normal multi-channel or stereo sources. These are intended as "effects" for TV dramas, movies and so on. A typical use would be, say, in a TV drama with a scene set in a restaurant. The background sound is made to occupy positions way beyond that achievable through the TV speakers. I often watch and hear TV programmes that have been so treated and hear e.g the clicking of cups on saucers or birdsong (jungle scene) seeming to come from my lounge walls three metres away from the TV location (I have no surround sound facilities). What you heard was probably of this nature although most likely created through an accidental combination of factors when the soundtrack was recorded.

Sound reproduction that genuinely appears outside of the head via 'phones has been achieved but requires 1. a lot of processing 2. custom built earpieces as accounting for the shape of the individuals' pinnae and ear canal entrance is a paramount factor for success.

With decent headphone reproduction a mono source should be centre head with no width. However the sound can appear to stretch in a line from front to back. This does depend, amongst other factors, on the quality of the signal source ( both recording and the reprodcution electronics). Some equipment simply will not "do" front to back imaging with mono in my experience. I actually use the abilty of equipment to acheive this as part of my selection criteria and when setting up a system.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.