Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

They are not the be-all and end-all for bass heads...

But that does not mean they can not dig down and make your whole body shake with good bass energy. People have written that they have even more bass energy with focus pads (which are available from the HiFi Man website for $39). NOTE: Focus pads are alternate ear pads.

I do not find the HE 400S significantly lacking in bass but I ordered a set of focus pads just to see what they would do (its only $39). I cannot let you know what they do yet as I am still waiting for the delivery.

The problem, if that's what you call it, is that the HE-400S comes with velour earpads, which are very comfortable, but that allows some of the sound to leak out and causes some of the low end to roll off.

I still find that the HE-400S, as they are out of the box, to have enough bass energy to make them enjoyable for anyone except for people who demand the highest bass energy possible. I have tracks with significant bass energy that the HE-400S reproduces without complaint. I have had them cause my whole body to vibrate with clean focused bass and that is with the stock velour ear pads.

IMO, the HE-400S makes the HD-580 sound second class without any equalization. The veiled sound that fairly/unfairly gets hung on the HD-580 is not part of the sound character of the HE-400S...at all. I find the bass reproduction to be cleaner and more focused than the bass from the HD-580.

What kind of music do you listen to and exactly what are your concerns on the bass reproduction? If you give me a list of some tracks that I may have, I can give them a critical listen and give you honest feedback.

If you want to try this let me know the name of the tracks and specific things to listen for.

Ed
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.