Home VK Music - Elekit & Triode Japan Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

TU-882R Mods - Results, Details

I'll start by giving the results of my substantially modded build.

A good friend Richard is very fussy about sound quality; he has a TW Raven turntable and superb electrostatic speakers.
I am fussy about sound quality; I have a Teres / Moerch /Zyx turntable, excellent valve electronics, and a superb Gryphon Scorpio CD player.
We both have AKG K812 headphones. We both know *good* sound.

Richard currently uses a MF X-Can 2 headphone amp, but is always on the lookout for something better and has tried several.

When Richard heard my TU-882, after only ten seconds came the firm exclamation 'Best yet!'. And that's it really.

A week later we had a shootout at his place, using AKG K812. A Graham Slee amp was easily outclassed by the TU and by my Cayin HA-1A (modded and with seriously good valves), both of which were not even warmed up.

After some warming up, things were very interesting. Both the TU and the Cayin were sounding superb, with a preference by all for the TU. The MF X-can was good, but not quite as good.

Richard was again highly impressed and has ordered a kit.

I'm using the TU882 with the Gryphon Scorpio (£6000 and worth every penny) and AKG K812s, giving *seriously* good sound; Tracy Grammer's fine 'Flower of Avalon' playing now, gorgeous.

Strengths are:
Fine tonality in every way, giving character to instruments, not over 'lush' but naturally warm and full bodied.
Superb transparency, detail and air.
Dynamics, transients, fast leading edges, giving a lively, rhythmic, engaging sound - tapping feet etc; very musical.
An even frequency response, nothing exaggerated; natural, and all there.
In other words, just about everything; a fine, highly enjoyable listen.

Now a bit about myself; I love music!
I've been designing and building valve gear for several years and my best efforts compare well with a top UK brand. I like the tonality of valves but I don't like the slow, rolled off sound of some valve amps.
I have also modded a number of units and have a good idea of the sound of various components, and (being an engineer) I can often identify where a unit can be improved, including my own of course! When I have a good unit, I typically build another to try component changes and circuit variations in a controlled way. I have learned a lot - relevant to my mods to the TU.

Getting late now, more tomorrow.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - TU-882R Mods - Results, Details - Mike C 18:03:06 03/20/16 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.