Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

For the archives

For those searching these Dynaco Asylum archives for information, as I often do, the above post is incorrect.

Per the original PAS manual, the Dynaco PAS used a #53 pilot lamp, NOT a #57. The data sheet for the #53 lamp indicates a current draw of 0.12 A, 60% less than the current draw stated incorrectly in the above post.

That means that the four (4) 12AX7s are drawing 300 mA, the 12X4 rectifier tube draws 300 mA, and the #53 lamp draws 120 mA, for a total of 720 mA, which is well within the speculated 1A filament ratings of the Dynaco PA-211 transformer.

Edit: Note that the 120 mA draw of the #53 lamp is based on its 14.4 volt rating. In the PAS testing done by Pacific Audio Regenesis (link below), the actual draw of the lamp, at the voltage the PAS runs it, is 90 mA.

"Replace the power lamp with an LED?

A common recommendation, propagated on online forums, is to replace the power lamp with an LED to reduce the load on the transformer. Keep in mind that the lamp was part of the intended load, is operating at well under its rated voltage, and only draws about 90mA.

And the transformer is already operating with a good temperature rise margin. Removing the lamp will only lower the core temperature by about 1.3

Edits: 04/07/22 04/07/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • For the archives - 1973shovel 04:51:07 04/07/22 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.

To view your new posting or follow-up, click on the RELOAD or REFRESH button on your browser.