Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I would contact Jim McShane

I second third and fourth that. Jim is great! Prices are fair! Just a great experience. But you may want to get involved changing the front end board to something more updated but don't forget once you do that it isn't a Dynaco even though most call it a modded Dynaco. It is and it isn't. It is just another EL-34 amp with a different front end. If you get the same input circuit using a new board with new parts then the initial integrity of the design remains. I've used may new input boards and to me the original sounded just as good.

One thing I can say about the new boards is the individual biasing of the tubes instead of paired. Allows for random tube drift. Also it should be biased lower than stock because of the increased wall voltage from when it was designed.

Lots to do with that amp to bring it up to present standards but a little at a time is good. If you choose to increase capacitance don't go crazy. The engineers back then knew what they were doing and got it right. No more than double is good enough except on the rectifier(pin 8). No more than 40UF there. I think stock is 20UF.

In my playing around I saw that anemic choke slows down the amp considerably. I did a small mod that increased the performance a lot. Took out the choke and put in another voltage dropping stage(R/C). The performance was a lot better but it might not been what the designers wanted.The weak link to that amp is the power supply.

Have fun!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I would contact Jim McShane - xaudiomanx 08:58:29 02/16/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.