Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Its used in all Warner releases.... why wish for watermarks ?

I'm curious, how many SACD titles and DVD-A titles do you own?

Personally I have about 80 SACDs and about 120 DVD-Audio titles, from a mixture of labels.

One thing that is always not considered is that a title need not be watermarked 100% of the time. It could be 3 seconds for every minute of playback for all you or I know. Of course I can't have access to watermarked and unwatermarked data. I thought I detected an artifact from watermarking on one of the WB titles, and checked with an "in the know" source, who informed me that what I was hearing was on the original master tape.

I can tell you with certainty even on the watermarked WB titles, the sonics are far superiour to Redbook CD.

The best sounding material (as is most often the case) is from the small labels, like AIX, Hi-Res, MDG and Tacet. None of these use watermarking. Coincendental? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Here's a novel idea. Buy titles from labels that don't use watermarking, and avoid labels that watermark. Vote with your dollars in that respect.

Of course, if you want to avoid DVD-A, and some of the quality titles available for more stereo reissues, that is your prerogative.

My preference is towards multi-channel reproduction, and there's no question that DVD-A is leading the way in that respect.

Regards,
John Kotches

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Its used in all Warner releases.... why wish for watermarks ? - John Kotches 20:13:57 01/29/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.