Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Thank you for your honest answer.

I'm being serious. However, I disagree with your reasons.

Whether or not you see watermarking as audibly affecting the music is not the same as "dynamic range commpression and intended digital clipping". Both of the latter are tools of the engineer/band for getting a sound that he/they want or creating a desired effect.

I am not a fan of dynamic range compression and I really don't see digital clipping as an "artistic" effect that I like to hear. Digital clipping is all too obvious and unenjoyable to the ear. Compression can be an artist's tool to get a certain sound that he/she desires, but unfortunately it's almost universaly used to "dumb down" the recording so that the music sounds acceptable on more common systems (boomboxes and rack systems), rather than high-end components.

>>>It will give the artist the best option in collecting royalties and preventing copying. If recorders which act upon the embedded instructions in the watermark become commonplace in the future.<<<

As far as detecting the watermark via consumer recorders, I don't see the hardware manufacturers giving this a high priority. I believe they will have to be forced to do such a thing -- the labels are not going to be able to do it without legal backup (as in getting another law passed). And just what can anyone do about the millions and millions of recording devices already available? Do you think that they will cease to exist in this envisioned 1984-like state?

As far as financial issues, I believe the majority of artists will tell you that their biggest concerns are with the labels that "represent" them. How many "old" musicians are flat broke. They sold millions and millions of albums, but got back chump change. In the '40s, '50s and '60s, there were no massmarket tape decks, CD burners or Napsters. The labels ripped them off. Today, it's pretty much the same way. Only now, the labels have gotten smart(er) and try to throw off the trail by claiming that tape recorders, CD burners, Napster et al, pirates and the Easter Bunny just make it too hard for them to turn a profit. Who suffers? The artist. And me. And you. So, you might want to rethink that idea if you believe that watermarking a recording is going to help the artist. The labels won't let that happen. They don't see themselves as there to help the artists: they see themselves as there to "help themselves".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.