Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: No Misunderstanding Here - The Documentation is Clear

>This doesn't say anything about upsampling the core data.<

Not this particular passage, but it demonstrates that the data is indeed separated into two halves, with the core data carrying everything up to 24kHz. The extension data, specified as "above 24kHz" carries the higher frequencies. There's nothing in the document about the extension data carrying frequencies below 24kHz sampled at a higher rate.

And just to revisit your assumption that a lossy CODEC wouldn't bother reproducing 48kHz signals, I've just spotted the following paragraph on a page fold:

"The graph in Figure 8 illustrates the capability of coding system to cover the entire bandwidth from 0-48kHz at a combined bit rate of 1536 kbps. As before 1152kbps is allocated to the core stream and 384kbps is allocated to the extension stream."

I don't know about you, but I think that's utterly pointless. Dedicating valuable data to inaudible content in a lossy coder makes no sense at all, unless one considers the marketing potential of the term "96/24" amongst those who don't appreciate how the technology works.

And, something we've not re-visited is the quality issue. I still maintain DTS 96/24 will and does sound worse than regular DTS because of the reduced data dedicated to the audible content, but whether that is a correct assumption or not, I know that anyone listening to a DTS 96/24 track on non-DTS 96/24 hardware will suffer, they're only getting 1,152kb/s.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.