Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Joe, I said---

that it wasn't available to the consumer... Which it isn't. (24/192 no, 24/96 yes.)

The lossless version is also not available for HT or to consumers.

(The information I get comes from whitepapers delivered by DTS when I was doing encoding professionally.)

I see people asking if 24/192 DTS is available, and then answering "Yes, 24/96 DTS is available."

//""It covers sampling rates up to 192kHz and has a lossless mode as well." -- John Kirchner of DTS on the codec's capabilities. "//

Yes, the CODEC ITSELF does. But *no* current consumer implementations can understand it.

"DTS" isn't really a single codec, more like a suite of algorithms, as most lossy codecs are. (AAC for example: AAC Main, LC, and SSR.)

However a good portion of these algorithms are not implemented _at all_ in consumer products.

What Kirchner probably meant was that in house, yes, they can make their (DTS's algorithms) do lossless 192. It was probably developed for the DVD-A forum.

DTS's current "bitrate ceiling" is determined by the DVD-V spec's bitrate limit. (~6mbps for DVD-V, ~9mbps for DVD-A.)

I just think people are getting confused as to what 'DTS' means. Their 'codec' can be used to refer to all of their algorithms in one package.

But I challenge anyone to find a single piece of consumer gear that can do lossless DTS at 192khz.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.