Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

2ch?

Hey folks,
I have been on the fence on the whole 'immersion' sets and finally ordered up 'wish you were here.' I think mainly because of the cool swag that comes with it. The latest 'Why Pink Floyd' SACD for DSoTM was the same release as the 2006 version and the vinyl is the same as the 30th anniversary.

I have been waiting for a hi-rez 2ch version of Wish You Were Here for a long time and, alas, I had to decide between the SACD and the 'immersion' swag set. I'll check out the 5.1 2ch downmix to see how that goes. 600kbps is 1/2 the resolution of lossless CD compression so it will probably be a step backwards.

On Tuesday, I picked up the RBCD versions of Animals, Final Cut, Division Bell, Momentary, and Meddle... I have only had time to listen to Animals and I think James Guthrie did a pretty good job and it sounds pretty close to the OBI Japanese Version I have, but a wee bit compressed.

I was one of the suckers that bought the 'oh by the way...' expensive box set thinking that it had all new remasters, but it turned out to be nothing but re-packaging.

I am curious if anyone picked up the immersion of DSoTM to let us know how the 5.1, or even Blu-ray turned out.

Perhaps Guthrie's cat played a role.... (see link)

Edits: 09/29/11 09/29/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.