Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Is Blu Ray stepping up with music only discs?

I've looked at several lists of new Blu Ray music discs and I'm disappointed. Mostly they are live concert disks, not studio music discs. Music is usually secondary on live concert discs. The best music is almost always from studio or special recording sessions (yes there are a few notable exceptions).

SACD being a music-only format has always featured studio music. DVD-Audio had a foot in both camps, with potentially superior fidelity (IMO) to SACD from 24/96 or 24/192.

When Blu came blasting in, there was promise that Blu would be the replacement for everything that came before, including DVD-Audio and SACD (which was no longer a key feature across the Sony disc player line).

But it seems to me Blu hasn't actually stepped up to the bar. I wouldn't be surprised if I can actually get more studio recorded music (and maybe even concerts) in the long since "dead" format of DVD-Audio.

I've had Oppo BDP-95 since the month it came out, purchased originally to play Blu movies, but as soon as I tried DVD-Audio and SACD on it, it stayed in my audio room instead. I've got exactly one Blu movie disc so far, never even watched it. But I *could* use it to play Blu music discs too, if there were any notable ones. I want stereo with fidelity equivalent to 24/96 or better.

Edits: 09/20/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Is Blu Ray stepping up with music only discs? - Charles Peterson 21:35:59 09/20/11 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.