Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

RE: The search is on for a DEPENDABLE DVD-Audio Player

What about the Denon 5910? I don't have one, but I mention it because it was in the Denon catalog for the longest time and was reputed to be made of better stuff (and about twice as heavy). The 5900 was barely in the catalog for a year, and that was 7 years ago, and used the same infamous transport as the 2900 which was one of DM's first in-house universal transport efforts. I myself have two working 5900's that I picked up off eBay. One is still like mint, and the other whines a bit too much when playing high speed discs. I also have one minty 2900 (!), so what I do is use that for high speed discs (like DVD-Audio and SACD) and then use the 5900 for HDCD which the 2900 doesn't do. 2900 and 5900 actually have very similar audio performance, and better than 3900 series. Those are in the bedroom. The living room had the good 5900 which plays everything quietly, but this year I've been using Oppo BDP-95 instead. I'd move good 5900 into bedroom to replace the unwieldy 2900/5900 combo, except I've been so enamored of BDP-95 I haven't actually gotten around to doing side-by-side comparison with 5900. One thing I don't like about BDP-95 is audible fan noise when playing high speed discs. It's just barely audible, but I have good hearing and sit 4 feet away. But BDP-95 has a very quiet transport, so I'm not sure which would be actually quieter until I do side-by-side comparison with 5900. I had been thinking about getting my noisy 5900 repaired, but am now thinking I just won't bother.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The search is on for a DEPENDABLE DVD-Audio Player - Charles Peterson 16:00:40 09/20/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.