Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

RE: R.E.M. (Or maybe other WMG?) DVD-As: Layer separation / degradation problem

Monchi,

I am now on my 4th copy of Around the Sun. I finally got one that worked - but had to have it shipped overseas as it was an EU pressing. This one does not seem to have the problems my other three US pressings had.

The things I've found in common is that they're all dual layer discs, US pressings by WMG. The interesting thing is that I have several HD-DVD discs (as another poster alluded to) from Warner which seem to have similar markings (and therefore maybe made on the same line, as HD-DVD could use DVD production equipment) that are failing in the same way - the disc can't be read a bit after the layer break.

I'm gong out on a limb here, but I am fully convinced that there is a non-isolated problem with Warner produced dual-layer discs of several formats produced between 2005-2007. It appears to me that the problem is in the layer bonding material, as some discs show visible discoloration.

I have in my possession 11 discs - 6 DVD-a, 5 HD-DVD, that are unreadable after the layer break. They are ALL Warner. I have MANY other discs from different manufacturers and NONE exhibit this problem. I can say this with confidence since I recently spent 2 weeks ripping and archiving all of my DVDs, HD-DVDs, and DVD-A's. Over 400 discs in all. Only a minority of them are Warner, but a good 30% of my Warner discs are bad.

Unfortunately, I don't know what can be done about this. Most people won't see it because the stereo mix is usually on layer 2, and most folks I think listen to 5.1. That, and you can't detect this by skipping around - you have to listen to the whole disc or rip it.

I doubt the DVD-A market has much pull in WMG, so their standard line of "send it in, we'll try and replace it" is about the best we'll get. Unfortunately, as I've seen, replacement doesn't always help.

All that being said, I have had good luck with the EU-manufactured versions as I said above, so this may be the best answer. Unfortunately this means re-buying titles and trying to verify the version you get.

I can't believe this problem is "just me" and that it's not known by Warner. I'd love to hear from someone at WMG. Until then, I am avoiding the purchase of any Warner Music Group products, and would encourage others to do the same - since they may be still using this process, and it seems that the problems take 3-4 years to appear.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: R.E.M. (Or maybe other WMG?) DVD-As: Layer separation / degradation problem - tcp100 00:57:20 07/29/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.