Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

I've seen lots of posts like this around the net . . .

Here's a quote from:-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=752807&page=2&pp=30

>> Originally Posted by gigaguy
The release of this DVD-A is prompting me to research buying a high-res audio stereo setup, plus I was wanting a video surround system anyway for my new HDTV.

Does the high-res receiver amp have to have DVD-A circuitry necessarily, if a DVD player has the DVD-A feature in it. I know you need the 6 analog connection.

There are two ways of hooking it up.

If you use analogue 5.1 connections, then all normal receivers will just be a pretty dumb pass through - they will apply nothing more than level calibration and the master volume control. All the calibration (speaker availability/size/distance/level) and resultant processing (bass management, delays, downmixing) has to be set up in the player. So you don't need any special facilities in the receiver at all; it just acts like a simple 6-channel amp. Actually, there is one thing - you will need to make sure the receiver will easily apply a +10dB or +15dB boost (depending on player setup) to the subwoofer input; some receivers don't have this.

If you want to use a digital hook-up, then HDMI 1.1, i.Link (=IEEE 1394/Firewire) or Denon Link will do the job. Digital has the advantage that the receiver should be able to provide extra processing (room equalisation, better bass management, Pro Logic IIx etc). And it's tidier. But again there may be problems with LFE level with some receivers.

Quote:
A possible future car I may buy has DVD-audio too (Acura RL). May just get the DVD-A Disc and go for an extended test drive! Will it play in this car?, still blurry on DVD-A and DVD video audio. I take it the 'Love' disc is not a standard DVD-A disc.
??

Yes, it will play. Love is a standard DVD-Audio disc. Like almost all DVD-Audio discs, it also contains a DVD-Video layer for backwards compatibility; this is totally separate content, although it looks superficially similar. The car's player will be DVD-Audio only, so will ignore the DVD-Video layer. You also won't see any of the video displays from the DVD-Audio layer - you'll just use normal track navigation buttons.
<<
[END OF AVSFORUM EXTRACT]

HighEndWire, in short, many prospective hirez newbies ARE asking lots of DVD-A setup questions, and eventually getting the hang of DVDA one way or another.

And regarding your comment: "Not that I don't think that it's great a hi-rez title is doing well but what % of that quarter of reviews probably does not really understand what DVD-A is and think that the 5.1 DD or DTS sound is the same? "

Well, what more evidence do we need than the recent DSOTM Alan Parsons mix DVDA with over 3gigs of MLP? Why were there several hundred thousand downloads, using those awkward Torrent portals, and for which in some cases folks were prepared to wait several days to save on their hard-drives? -- Folks who could have instead chosen to download one of the previously available DTS-compressed bootlegs in much less time and hassle. That speaks for itself. In fact, I'm sure this was not lost on Floyd's record label -- EMI -- when deciding to publish "Love" on hirez DVDA.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.