Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Talking Heads Brick and Cambridge Audio 540D

Arghh...I know there have already been a few posts about the Talking Heads Brick (and the problems with it), but this one is directed primarily at other Cambridge Audio 540D owners.

I was so excited about this set coming out that I finally decided to jump into the world of DVD-A, so I bought the 540D, a switchbox, and even more cables. On first go, Natalie Merchant's "Tigerlilly" and America's "Homecoming" sound phenomenal; encouraged and excited (and realizing that I needed to buy it before the rest of my money evaporated), I went to the record store yesterday and picked up the Brick for $120. Like some inmates have reported on other machines, I was able to load the menu screens, but the second it went to play the MLP-encoded tracks (be it stereo or 5.1), the player froze up.

What I'm wondering is this; is there any chance of a firmware update that might allow 540D owners to listen to the Brick? I bought this player just last week from AudioAdvisor, so I'm assuming the firmware is pretty new on it, but I haven't been able to figure out how to check that yet. Also, have 540D owners encountered any other DVD-A discs that are mastered in the same way as the Brick discs (ie, totally won't play on the unit)?

I really like this player, but I'm actually thinking about returning it and picking up another player (no idea what at this point), just to enjoy this box set. Argh!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Talking Heads Brick and Cambridge Audio 540D - bocephus 06:59:42 11/27/05 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.