Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Christine here are my answers

No Christine, you are not dumb. Could it be Soundgarden is too afraid to answer your simple yes or no questions?

Soundgarden said, "Because those are the ONLY two sure things in life and this answer applies to your questions as well. But if you have all the answers to every question that uses the phrase Are You Sure, then you are indeed a very special person since I have yet to find a human being on this planet that can."

That is not an answer to two utterly simply EASY questions.

I shall answer them as they relate to my experience.

*** Are you absolutely, positively sure beyond all reasonable doubt that prolonged playback of Dual Discs in a player not designed for them won't have a negative impact on the lifespan and reliability of your player? ***

My answer: I’m personally not risking damage to my DVD-Audio player by playing DualDiscs. Equipment manufactures have NEVER, and I repeat NEVER in the entire history of audio ever warned that a new format may cause damage to their equipment and void their warranties. Just in case you are too young to remember here are some of the warnings of the past by Stereo equipment manufactures and they have all proven true:

1) In the 70's Dupont invented Chromium Dioxide tape and manufactures warned that it was abrasive to the tape heads and would cause premature head wear. This warning voided NO warranties was true and new heads using stronger robust materials were invented and used in newer tape decks.

2) When DVD was invented it was warned it is not playable on CD players.

3) CD-R's, and CD-RW's are not playbable in many CD players.

4) SACDs CD layer is not playable in some older DVD players.

5) DualDisc are not recommended to be played in current CD, DVD-Video or DVD-Audio players and damage caused by doing so will void the manufacturers warranty. New DualDisc compatible equipment is being released this Christmas and early next year.

*** Are you really so arrogant as to believe you know better than them? ***

I believe the manufacture of my Stereo equipment, they designed it and knows how it works and what its tolerances are. Soundgarden may say these warnings are written by lawyers and that is true. But how can the manufactures be correct about Nos. 1-4 and incorrect about No. 5? Meridian has backed away a little from their warning and said that the DVD side should be OK to play, however they DO NOT recommend playing the CD side. But most other manufacturers recommend to avoid playing either the CD or DVD side of a DualDisc.

What has always amazed me is that people will risk their players to play a few DualDiscs especially considering all the good stuff is on DVD-Audio not DualDisc. Crazy? Could Soundgarden be making money off of DualDiscs?

Also it is important to look at who is pushing DualDisc the hardest: Sony Music who offers NO DVD-Audio. As I have said before Sony strategy is to destroy DVD-Audio by pushing DualDisc as DVD-Audio is only optional and they intend it to fade away, whereas DVD-Audio is mandatory on a DVD-Audio disc. Just check out the PS3, which supports DualDisc with NO DVD-Audio and SACD. I personally enjoy real DVD-Audio and am letting the makers of DVD-Audio discs know I will buy DVD-Audio but not DualDisc. Sony wants the CD/DVD format to be DualDisc and the high-resolution format to be SACD. And a lot of DVD-Audio followers are playing right into Sony's hand.

Lastly Christine I believe you are being very intelligent by no longer playing something that can and will damage your equipment.

Just my 2 1/2 cents,
Teresa

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Picture of Panasonic replacement spindle motor kit - Christine Tham 18:27:36 08/12/05 (53)

You can not post to an archived thread.