Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Some thoughts

Jim,

I agree with your advice, but it may have uncontrolled effects if the center speaker is d'Appolito (most CC speakers are). I posted about this on the old board, and also about the Queen mix last week. Also I have tried this setup, and found that the consequences were not good. By doing that, you may be introducing some phase problems into the system. As a general rule, I think one should avoid horizontal d'Appolito CC speakers.

I find the most significant benefit of CC use is that it can pin down the bass in a very specific spot in some recordings. Some recordings use CC mainly to add depth, I like that also (Paul Simon)

But I would not discard 4.1 just like that, if the system allows for phantom center, it's a good option sometimes. Tubular Bells on SACD, Deep Purple Machinehead, and ELP (in short, all quad stuff), work better in 4.1
I almost always give it a try on 4.1 when the center channel is not pleasant, and sometimes I like the result better.

It's really a matter of trial and error, and having fun.

Best

Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Some thoughts - Eric LeRouge 15:02:59 01/31/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.