Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

i think the centre channel is important ...

early tests on stereo indicate that three speakers were the minimum to reproduce a stereo soundstage accurately, so 2 channels is a compromised we have lived with all these years.

what you can do is five identical floorstanding speakers in an ITU configuration supported by 1 or 2 subwoofers.

to watch an image, use a projector and mount your screen above the speakers. a few of my friends have this configuration.

the compromise you are making is that the visual location of images is then above the aural soundstage.

i adopt two compromises. four identical floorstanding speakers, but a low timbre matched centre channel with the screen mounted above the centre speaker. therefore i get the all important congruence between visual and aural location. if a car for example moves from left to right, my ears correlate the exact position of the sound with the exact position of the car on screen. this greatly enhances the impact of watching films and is well worth it.

the compromise is non-identical speakers, and also on surround mixes where the vocals are in the centre channel only, the "height" of the centre channel is lower than the other speakers which create an "anomaly"

however, most surround mixes places vocals on front left and right and the centre channel is used as a "filler" and that works out really well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.