Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

I am only talking about CD players now...

this has kind of gotten off on a tangent. The behavior Frank noticed led him to conclude that SACD noise shaping also shapes the signal. I pointed out that the same behavior occurs on CD player graphs. He said this was also due to noise shaping.

Well I looked at these output charts for about 5 different CD players. They had slightly different wiggles in slightly different places. But they were all basically the same shape. And then I read the text in the latest issue.

It is very obvious that the change in the noise floor between "digital black" and the dithered signal is primarily due to the noise floor in the input signal due to the dither. It has nothing to do with whether the DAC is single bit or not.

OK this applies to CD players. Now we all know that there is a noise floor that increases in SACD and it appears in the Stereophile graphs to increase rapidly above 8 kHz. This is part of the design.

It is still not the case that the noise shaping shapes the signal. Frank's logic, which was not true for CD, is no more true for SACD.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.