Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Hey JimiAustin: MQA Enabled ADCs

Isaak,

in one of the numerous MQA threads I posted that the biggest problem with MQA is that it is too clever for most to understand.
The real problem with MQA is that is, IMO, really two functions:
1. An end-to-end temporal response with minimal 'blurring', to use Bob Stuart's phrase.
2. An encoding scheme that reduces the file size/bit-rate to below that of conventional 'hi-res' files.

Maybe the implementation of the two functions are so intertwined that they are one thing. It certainly seems that all interviews and publicity treat it as one thing (maybe to its detriment?)

An ADC is still an ADC. The answer in the linked interview does not state there is anything special about the ADC function for MQA except 'low modulation noise', i.e. it should be a good ADC. So, in those terms, Jim was correct, your original question does not make sense.
What I think the talk of an MQA-enabled ADC is about is, at minimum, having a defined temporal response or, at maximum, building the encoding process into the ADC so that output data rate is already reduced and the metadata included for the decoder to know what reconstruction filter response to adopt to compliment the ADC without the need to add that during mastering.

Regards
13DoW

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.