Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: So in other words ...

In Reply to: RE: So in other words ... posted by PAR on October 29, 2016 at 16:06:39:

" " However there is not any high rez ( in an MQA sense) service yet in existence"
Classicsonlinehd has many files streaming at 24/96 to 24/192
Of course they are dropping all labels except those owned by Naxos. Too bad
Alan"

I think that I could have phrased it better if I had just said " using MQA". Still I think that the point about unproven economic viability is still pertinent and the scaling down of Classics Online supports this. As a simile, apparently 83% of Spotify's revenue is dissipated in royalties and other outgoing costs. As Classics Online is owned by Naxos and if they now only have repertoire from the Naxos family of labels, then the cost of some of the royalties (those to publishers are artists remain) is removed. It also must reduce the cost of storage and administration.

It's too bad that Naxos found it necessary to do this but, as I have pointed out elsewehere on AA, some download suppliers have also found it necessary to take roughly similar action although in their case it was reputedly mainly caused by storage and bandwidth costs.

I was listening Qobuz yesterday with a close friend who works at one of the majors " enjoy it while you can" was his view.

Regards

Pete

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: So in other words ... - PAR 01:19:43 10/30/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.