Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

It doesn't exist enough for me to have feelings about it

In some ways, I am probably the typical target customer for something like this. I'm 40, and I've got feet in both the audiophile and music lover camps, with a small but growing music collection I am actively adding to at least monthly, often weekly.

That said, it is doubtful I would ever bother with MQA unless it literally became an industry standard. The reason I started paying attention to audio gear was to get better sound from the recordings I already owned or planned on buying. Period. I never purchased an SACD hybrid because of SACD. I did end up with some because I wanted to have some decent Rolling Stones cds.

There is also the software problem. The idea of "everything" being converted over to a new format is laughable. The idea it will all be done well even more so. I only have about 3000 lps and 1000 cds (with some overlap, say 25%), but that covers everything from 1920s jazz and blues up through new releases from this year. I have recordings on vinyl that are difficult or impossible to get on cd, and cds with recordings I'll never own on vinyl or shellac. In some cases it's because they were never originally issued that way.

The real kicker here for MQA is I have no interest in purchasing any of this stuff again. Even if they were to transfer over the catalogs of Yazoo, Norton, Daptone, and other labels I enjoy the copies I already own are good enough. I would rather spend my money on things I don't have, since my want list is bigger than my collection.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • It doesn't exist enough for me to have feelings about it - trav 09:20:25 10/27/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.