Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Just because it is new, doesn't mean it is better

Art is onto something, and I am glad that at least one mainstream (for this hobby) publication treats vintage components as viable alternatives. Sure some DIY is needed, but for some that is part of the fun.

I use a mix of old (well not as old as Art's stuff) and reasonably new components, and I have recently begun to experiment with 35-40yr old phono cartriges. It is very possible to create a great system, that delivers realism, palpability, scale etc using vintage components.

Consider that there are more than a few audiophiles that think we have not advanced very much if at all from:

Quad ESL pr
Mac C22/MC30 or Marantz 7/8b
Thorens 124 or Garrard 301
SME Arm and SPU cartridge

Many of us would love to own such a system.

Art spent some time highlighting the WE 755a. This is the very same speaker used as a mid/tweeter in the AR1. One of the best combos of the golden age was an AR1 combined with a Janszen 130 Electrostatic tweeter array. Some recent hobbyists run the combo with external crossovers so that the 755a runs full range, and the AR woofer/Janszen tweeter runs only at the frequency extremes.

SOTA isnt what its cracked up to be.

Best,

Ross

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Just because it is new, doesn't mean it is better - Ross 19:56:45 10/07/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.