Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

ORGs Reissue of In The Wind

About a month ago I posed a query in the Vinyl Asylum about the ORG reissue of Peter Paul and Mary's "In the Wind", which was trashed by AD in the June 2016 Stereophile yet praised as superb by JV in the Absolute Sound and in fact included in their Super LP List (in fact, Best of the Bunch in Popular) in the July/August 2016 issue. My query was "who's right?"

Not too many responses, as it doesn't seem that many inmates had direct experience with both the original and the reissue.

I received my August 2016 Stereophile yesterday, and the entire letter section (which I always enjoy reading) was take up by a letter from Ying Tan rebutting ADs take on this reissue, at great length. Mr. Atkinson responded to this letter rather dismissively, in my opinion, indicating that "he (Mr. Tan) appears to rake Art Dudley over the coals for points he did not make, and ignores the points he did make". And to that, JA is mostly correct, and it is likely Mr. Tan would have been wise to have his letter proofread by someone familiar with ADs article prior to sending it, so that the points could have been rebutted directly and not in the roundabout way.

At the bottom, I think what we have here is a case of AD opining that the reissue is not a quality product, certainly not worth the premium price, and the manufacturer responding with outrage, making points to demonstrate it is a quality product, but also demeaning ADs experience, which doesn't fly very well. I think if I were JA, I would have someone else listen to this reissue as well.

I still find it odd that ADs experience is so at odds with the appearance of this reissue on TAS's Super LP list. FWIW, I really like ADs columns and in fact bought a product (the Tavish Adagio) based almost entirely on his review. (No way to hear it in advance, so a leap of faith, which unfortunately is too often the case for we consumers-but that's another subject.)

I have neither an original of In the Wind, nor the reissue. Maybe the only way through this is some original research!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - ORGs Reissue of In The Wind - TGR 10:06:30 07/12/16 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.