Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Art Dudley: The Goodness of Your Heart: A Tragedy in One Act

I took the article at face value. I took it to show their readers that not everyone operates with integrity. I did not take it as self serving, I could understand why Bill did not want to use the names of the offenders. The fact that these emails exist, was proof enough to share this incident.

I have been reading Stereophile since June of 1993. I also subscribed to Listener, until it ended. Over the years I have exchanged emails with Art, John, and J10. I have a great deal of respect for all the writers at Stereophile. I have to give Stereophile the credit for my education on tbe hi-end. I started by reading Stereo Review and bought in to their specs are everything, which led me to a pricey for 1973 system that was a mismatched, very poor sounding group of components. Stereophile, long before the Internet, taught me a lot.

And as for PS Audio, I think they are one of the best companies out there. Great customer service, good products. I meet Paul at an audio show in Chicago in 1999, when he was just introducing the P300. He was a real gentleman that day, and I never forgot that. Recently I have exchanged emails with Bill, and I found him to be a class act too.

I left the Asylum in around 2003, because of the trolls and the mean spiritedness of some of the members. I came back last year for guidance and knowledge on PC audio. I received a lot of help from some very good people. Now when I go to the PC forum, there is always conflict. To me music is part of what makes life worth living, good equipment brings me closer to that passion. I don't understand why there is so much resentment around here.

I feel like I know JA, Art, Paul, and Bill, while the members here I'm never quite sure about. The open hostility towards Stereophile I don't understand, they have done so much to move forward music and audio gear.

And I find it odd those that question the motives of Art's article while giving 6Moons a pass. That is requiring payment for a review.

And I believe that there are emails to back up what was printed. Those reviewers now know they will have to play fairly, or if need be could be exposed. I think I read that the bribe offered to that other reviewr was done by phone, smart enough not to leave a paper trail.

I think this is another case of killing the messenger. In the past I have mostly trusted unknown professional reviewers, I will be more aware in the future. That alone for me, means the article served a purpose.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.