Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Faith has much to do with it...

D'Souza's example is not what science is - therefore it is knocked down as a strawman argument. Observation is a PART of science - but it is not science itself. D'Souza clearly doesn't get the difference.

He has problems with statistical prediction - and that's fine because there is a problem with that to a degree - I agree.

Although to defend stats - There are many things in life that we can "practically" use to make our life easier and that have been proven to "work" - it would be idiotic in some cases not to trust in the stats.

For instance the odds of winning the Lotto is very low - it is not a good idea to rely on the lottery for your retirement plan. Yes the odd guy who does rely on it has won but statistically speaking the odds are not in your favor so don't do it.

Yes some fields of mathematics and physics could change - not all of math however. Most of it is ironclad. 2+2 is never going to equal 3,756 because someone eventually confirms or dumps string theory

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.