Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Faith has much to do with it...

An astute observation. However, falsifiability doesn't require that a theory be falsifiable *with the equipment or understanding we have now.* It need only be falsifiable in principle. There's no reason to suppose that string theory won't be falsifiable once our understanding of the math improves to the point at which we can use it to make predictions about the physical world.

Another example might be the various quantum interpretations. The many-worlds and Copenhagen interpretations make identical predictions. And we can't observe other quantum worlds. There are those who say that, since they can't even in principle be observed, the distinction isn't a matter of science. I'm skeptical of that, personally. The theory that is simplest is the one favored by science, and it seems to me that the Copenhagen interpretation introduces unnecessary multiplication of entities. But it is said.

However, getting back to string theory -- I think it can be argued that a scientific theory gains credence not just on the basis of experiment or observation, though this is the ultimate arbiter. Any physicist will tell you that some theories are beautiful. They are so elegant and powerful that they almost have to be true. I have often been able to provisionally dismiss a new theory because it was inelegant.

As far as I know, philosophy of science hasn't progressed to the point at which it can explain or appreciate this phenomenon (although this may be more a reflection of my ignorance of the philosophy of science than anything else). I believe that Kant was, as so often, ahead of the curve when he said in the Critique of Practical Judgment, "That which is beautiful is that which has subjective purposiveness for cognition." I believe that we've evolved a nose for truth, and the most capable theorists use this more than many, who think that science is a dry matter of experiment, explanation, and experiment, believe.

It's also true that some successful theories are implicit in what is already known, e.g., Maxwell's equations can be derived from Special Relativity and Coulomb's Law, and Einstein himself famously (and mind-bogglingly) hit upon SR after performing a thought experiment in which he visualized himself riding a wave of light.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.