Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Faith has much to do with it...

The absence of refutation elevates Kant's claim to the realm of possibility, but not the realm of probability.

You speak in terms of knowing. The truth of propositions in mathematics, to the incomplete extent that propositions made within an axiomatic system can be proved to be true or false, is knowable. Ditto for a logical system, which is merely mathematics in different clothing. But other than that, there is no reason to believe that anything can be known with certainty. To demand that it be so known is to make a straw man argument, and to use that demand to support an unfalsifiable proposition like Kant's is to engage in flying spaghetti monsterism.

Since Kant's proposition can't be tested logically, it falls, to the extent that it can be tested, within the realm of empirical science, and it is on that basis that I reject it, without ever being able to disprove it.

The most productive falsifiable theories that we have today all point in the direction of the supposed noumenal and phenomenal worlds as being one and the same. I came years ago to believe that physics and mathematics (of which logic and thought are applications) are one and the same. The fact that physics so often comes out of already discovered mathematics, e.g., non-Euclidean geometry and group theory, and that we're regularly able to find mathematical descriptions for physical phenomena, e.g., calculus, points to that. So does the fact that our thoughts and feelings increasingly are found to correspond to a physical entity operating according to physical laws, the brain. It is in a way unsurprising that we can understand some of what makes the world tick, since it would seem that we are, in effect, part of the physical universe modeling itself.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.