Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Will the sun rise tomorrow?

"People like Thomas Kuhn have shown that science proceeds pretty much the same way that religion operates. With few exceptions scientists do not change their views. They retire or die and are replaced by a newer generation of scientists. How is this any different than religion?"

If science proceeded the same way religion does, cars wouldn't move, or prayer would work. Since neither is the case, I think we can assume that there's a difference between them. It is certainly a difference that Kuhn himself recognized.

Even if it were true that all old fart scientists held on to outmoded theories while all young scientists jumped on the new and improved ones as they came along, it would have little bearing on science, which is so constructed as to transcend human nature. It's amazing what experiment and observation can do to separate the wheat from the chaff. Two bishops can argue until doomsday about how many angels can fit on the head a pin: two scientists can argue about it only until one of them trots out a microscope and tries putting angels on it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.