Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Show me the data. You can not do this. You are blowing smoke.

Show me the data. You can not do this. You are blowing smoke.

Show me a single sample on the disk that is larger than +32767 or smaller than -32768. You can't. Such numbers do not correspond to any possible pattern of pits on the disk. What you describe is no more possible than a five digit odometer on an automobile showing a milage larger than 99,999. There is no magic here whatsoever. Every single bit on the disk can be identified and quantified using a microscope. It isn't even necessary to use a computer to demonstrate this point, but one will need to be a consummate "squint" to examine more than a tiny part of the disk. A competent engineer armed with a microscope and a copy of the Red book specification can do this. I doubt that you have ever read the red book specification or looked at an actual CD under a microscope.

I can take a 1 kHz sine wave in 44/16 format (dithered) and the spectrum shows a single peak, with noise at -128 dB. There are no harmonics. I can resample this to 176.4/16 and look at the spectra. Again no harmonics and the noise is at roughly the same level. If I play this test tone through my speakers there is no distortion at any volume level that I can stand. My system is not broken.

I don't know where you get these DACs that are "the best". If they can't play a simple test tone without distortion they are audiophool equipment.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

Edits: 07/11/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Show me the data. You can not do this. You are blowing smoke. - Tony Lauck 18:07:45 07/11/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.