Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Let's see the curve.

Go to Stereophile's web site (excellent). Look at Art's review of the Audio Note AN-E/SPe HE. Read JA's measurement section. JA mentions several major resonances: at 484 Hz, at 230Hz, and 270 Hz. "These last two modes were also present on the front baffle and the rear panel,while another strong mode was present at 550 Hz lower down on the sidewall. JA claims that these resonances will introduce audible coloration (left-hand register of piano too prominent). The anechoic response is a ver poor +_ 5.5 db from 30 to 13,000 Hz. At 1,000 Hz, there is a distinct step down in the output, something that JA thought would add some nasality to the tonal balance. JA's measurements in Art's room are much worse than the anechoic ones: 60 Hz up 12 dB, compared to 10,000 Hz and 23 dB up compared to 15,000. JA's in-room (yes, JA's room, with JA's SUPERIOR amp) measurements of the Dunlavy SCIV showed the speakers down a little over 2 dB at 10,000, compared to 60 Hz, and down 8 dB at 15,000. I know Art has a cult following, but his system is certainly NOT high end.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.