Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I love math

and the enjoyment of working out algorithms to achieve some goal.

When I was young and stupid, however, I believed in Julian Hirsch and the value of all numbers. Obsessed with them. I could quote chapter and verse of distortion specs for quite a few receivers, amps, preamps, etc. I had my AR integrated amp measured by Dave O'Brien himself. Got the chart. As a result, I decided that I had to have some Crown gear. Why? Because they had "virtually unmeasurable distortion". Yep, that's what I want. Fortunately, the dealer talked me out of the dreadful sounding ICK preamp. The D-150 was a decent amp, but was hard on top and had no image width or depth. Very closed in. Maybe they couldn't measure it, but distortion free they were not. I learned that lesson when I was 17.

Numbers are great when they correlate to real world performance. I value the frequency measurements I've recently performed on three systems. With a forest of bass traps, the main one achieves a very flat response in the first four octaves. Measures good and sounds dead neutral. You'll definitely hear me preach neutrality.

rw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.