Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Thank you both: some concluding thoughts

Srajan & JA,
Thanks for such thoughtful consideration of what are just initial ideas. The rationale, as you clearly understand, is to put scientific validity to the PHENOMENON of listening to audio, dealing as it does with all the variables (room, FULL set of components, listener) and their interactions. As with any phenomenon, we need to measure the values of all variables that can impact the outcome (subjective listening pleasure) in order to be able to allow for repeatability (in other words: if my listening preferences/attitudes match with a revewiers', and we have similar rooms, then it is very likely that the sound system he/she likes would appeal to me).

The current state of reviewing a component in isolation, with a hodge podge of other components, a reviewer whose listening tates are vaguely known, in a room that is only casually described, i think leads to information that does not allow predictability, especially in the ranges in which all equipment operate. Taking all variables into consideration at once clearly is needed.

I agree with you both, that quality of the editorial board & panel of reviewers would be critical. In fact, paying reviewers would be one thing I would probably do, in order to ensure review quality (this comes from my experience with reviewing in academia, where free reviews sometimes tend to be low quality, even with a highly motivated set of reviewers).

You both have much more practical insight than I do in what it takes to run a magazine. Like any set of ideas, to become practical, a lot more will need to be worked out. I can offer you one data point: I WOULD pay $5 for such a set of articles, if i believed the process was scientific, unbiased, and actually gave me insights. Proof that this idea works can be found in the CONSUMER REPORTS business model. People CAN distinguish between good and bad information, i.e, one cannot just assume that your customers believe all information on the web is of the same quality; and if some is free the rest HAS to be free. I think audiophiles are smart enough to know the difference.

In conclusion, I would like to remind us all of the reaction the Federal Express business plan got, when its founder presented it in his MBA class. He got a C, becuase the Professor thought the idea was too impractical: who would want a service that delivered letters overnight?
Anyways, an interesting discussion.
-akhilesh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.