Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Measurements/Subjective Reviews

Very good questions;

1. Do you read the measurements section?

Absolutely. Dont yet understand them all, but the learning continues. Personally, I would find articles on reading/interpreting them useful, similar to the ones done for speaker and preamp measurements.

2. If the measurements section is critical, and the subjective review is highly complementary, how do you respond? Do you dismiss the measurements? Dismiss the subjective review? Weigh them both? Dismiss them both?

I think JA has done a bang-up job of measurements. A contradictory listening indicates a few possibilities.

a. We yet do not have meaningful measures that relate to all aspects of human hearing. Someday we shall have more/better tests that will better corelate measurements to listening. I feel what JA is doing today is state of the art, and I consider him a pioneer. But we have to accept the fact that this 'science' is yet in it's infancy.

b. The ancillary gear/setup used for the review was so 'eccentric' that the listening results were substantially different from the measurements. Different results would have been yielded with different setup/gear. I somehow do not think this is the case very often. Especially since most reviewers have enough gear to play around with.

c. The reviewer interjected personal values when evaluating the equipment. Ie. the reviewer may prefer a large bass hump, rolled off highs, second-order harmonics and gave the gear a high grade for having it or a low grade for not. I have to admit it is especially difficult not to do this as a reviewer.

d. The reviewer is churning out yet another review, and spews the standard superlatives when describing the sound. I cannot say how often this is the case, but I have my suspicions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Measurements/Subjective Reviews - Arvind Kohli 10:04:12 05/27/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.