Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Neuroscience update

HI Jim,
Thanx for your response. Essentially, i understand you to say you wanted to see if all of us experience the same thing IN GENERAL. My point in the earlier post was that that may be TOO much of a generalization. We need to consider each phenomenon separately (or each class of phenomenon spearately) to see if people experience it the same way.
For example: If I put a lot of habanero chiles in SAlsa, and feed it to 5 people, I can reasonably expect them on average to share feelings of a certain type of discomfort...i.e. eating food laced with a lot o f chile will cause similar brain patterns in these people (on average). Simialry, I am sure ther eare other extreme phenomena that do cause similar patterns.

Unfortulantely the phenomenon we are capturing with minute differences in stereo sound presentation are so subtle and ephemeral that I fear we cannot lump them in the same category as the more obviously experienced phenomena, such as too muc chiles.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I enjoyed reading your article. At one point, a few years ago, i briefly considered using fMRI for my own research (As a tool) and then gave up on it, since i did not think i would learn much from it. However, it is very useful in many ways.
thanx
-akhilesh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Neuroscience update - abajaj11 09:30:10 05/25/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.