Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

For the most part, I agree...

1.) most High End products are actually pretty good today - unlike say, 20 years ago...

I think you are right. But, I have been reading audio mags on and off for more than 25 years, and I have yet to see a reviewer say "You know, this is just a bad product that really needs to be re-thought." or "This product is adequate, but the truth is, you can do a lot better for the money." But, when I go listen to components, particularly speakers, I find that there is only maybe 20 percent that I would even want to consider taking home for any length of time. You mean to tell me reviewers NEVER stumble onto those types of products?

2.) most reviewers don't want to spend the time and work necessary to review a product if they don't like it - it's very difficult to be inspired to write about a product that is inferior - unless it is highly regarded or has been favorably reviewed elsewhere. Otherwise there are too many good to great products the reviewers would rather spend their time with, and

You mean, reviewers only review products that they already know they like, or that everyone else says they like. Jeepers!

3.) as a former reviewer, I was reluctant to write a negative review about a product because I was afraid that just because I was not able to get its best out of it, or personally didn't like what it did, others may not feel the same way about it - and a negative review could do serious damage to a small manufacturer

If you were reluctant to write a negative review (or, conversely, predisposed to writing a positive review) then you simply weren't doing your job. A reviewer in my opinion shouldnt base his review on how one person out of a thousand potential users MIGHT feel about it, nor do I think a reviewer should worry about what might happen to a company for fear of telling the truth.

I'm not suggesting there is some big conspiracy, I just think that as long as a magazine is largely funded by the companies whose products get reviewed, reviewers are going to cop out, the way you mentioned you did. Consumer Reports doesnt seem to be offended when they rate a product as inferior and their testers / reviewers are free to be truthful.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.