Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Well then, how about this arguement. for favorable reviews...

I can tell you the main reasons you don't see many negative reviews are
1.) most High End products are actually pretty good today - unlike say, 20 years ago, and
2.) most reviewers don't want to spend the time and work necessary to review a product if they don't like it - it's very difficult to be inspired to write about a product that is inferior - unless it is highly regarded or has been favorably reviewed elsewhere. Otherwise there are too many good to great products the reviewers would rather spend their time with, and
3.) as a former reviewer, I was reluctant to write a negative review about a product because I was afraid that just because I was not able to get its best out of it, or personally didn't like what it did, others may not feel the same way about it - and a negative review could do serious damage to a small manufacturer.

Most manufacturers do whatever they can to accomodate a magazine and a reviewer within reasonable guidelines. Many times they will even arrange for the reviewer to be sent some associated equipment from other manufacturers that they think brings out the best in their products. Most magazines and reviewers are concerned primarily with maintaining their independence, credibility and delivering a thorough, fair, and impartial review. Manufacturers that make the process easier and have great and interesting products to write about (Musical Fidelity, for example) tend to get more reviews.

Sorry, conspiracy buffs, but that's reality.
Regards,
Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.