Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: The only thing less reliable than a subjective audio review is . . .

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing, but no matter!:-)
I respect all your posts!
Having built speakers and amp (as a hobby) and tunng them, i find that a speaker that sounds JUST RIGHT in one room may be too bright in another, or with another amp, and so on. Similarly, a source that sounds great with one amp may be too rolled off for another. So the interaction effects :
component-component;
component-room;
component-listener,
room-listener,
room-component-listener

are SO IMPORTANT, that unless you duplicate all of them (assuming the reviewer knew what he was doing in the first place) you are not really going to learn anything. The logical end to this argument, as the astute reader has no doubt surmised, is that one HAS to build one;s own, and tweak for a while, or get someone else to do that for them.
Of course, audio is a lot about "feeling good" as well as hearing well, esp. high end audio. Which explains a lot of what passes for "haute audio" in the high end audio world.
-akhilesh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: The only thing less reliable than a subjective audio review is . . . - abajaj11 17:47:41 05/19/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.