Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Reviews...

Richard,

I don't see Stereophile (or any audio magazine) as a Consumer Reports. I don't want to read about components that sound bad. I do want to read about things that sound good or great, that have something special about them - something that might make me want to find out more - because I'm a connoisseur. By the way - you are, too.

And connoisseur magazines don't waste their readers' time by devoting column inches to bad cigars (Cohiba Esplendido = good, Swisher Sweets = bad), nor do Haut Horologie magazines cover ugly watches (Chopard, very elegant ... G-Shock, not so much). Same for magazines about fine wines, classic cars, etc.

Many people seem to be making the mistake that Stereophile somehow has the core responsibility of a consumer advocate magazine such as Consumer Reports. It does not. It is a journal for the audio connoisseur, regardless of the expense level the connoisseur is participating at, and it is with this in mind that they publish their reviews ... in order to inform the connoisseur of something they might like. Not of something they might dislike.

However, there may be room in the marketplace for an audio consumer-advocate magazine ala Ralph Nader. I don't know for sure ... I don't think I'd be interested in it, but I'm sure others might. How many others is hard to determine ... it'll take a brave soul such as yourself to try it out.

Cheers!

Chris
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Reviews... - Sommovigo 20:23:04 01/30/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.