Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: A couple Promethius questions

Hello Paul,

How well the bass unit integrates depends on many things, one of them is the cross-over frequency. Other ones are the slope of the filter, how the units are placed and, also very important, the sound characteristic of your woofer.

I have Bastanis units playing here since three weeks so I cannot say too much about them yet. But, my previous widerange unit was a Fostex FE208Sigma and this one also roughly goes from 100 to 10,000 Hz. I combined it with three woofers in the same box and with the same adjustable filter.

My first woofer was a Peerless XLS-10, the second a Eton 11-581-Hex and the third a BD-15 (designed by Bert Doppenberg). The first two go to 20 Hz in a 100-ltr box, but cannot be used at frequencies higher than 200 Hz for the Peerless and 800 Hz for the Eton. The BD-15 is larger than the others, needs a box of 160 ltr but starts only 30 Hz due to its very strong magnet. This also gives it a high efficiency (96 dB) and a high useable upper frequency of 4000 Hz. This fast bass respons and its sound character from the paper cone make that it matches very well with wide-range units of similar construction.

Another experience I had was with a downfiring sub-woofer (REL-Stadium II). This unit always gets very high scores in tests, but in my ears it sounded muddy and it made the floor vibrate. Maybe that it nice if you watch DVDs with surround sound, but it has nothing to do with high-end audio. So I turned the REL to its side with the speaker cone sending its sound directly to the listening position and the bass quality strongly improved: much more speed, less vibration. This was at a cross-over frequency of 60 Hz.

So when filtering at 100 Hz I am in favor of placing the bass unit close to the widerange and facing the listener (you probably saw my photos in the next message). The result is that even with my first(!) order filter I have a good integrated sound and a fast and detailed bass. I have no comparison until now with other Bastanis setups where good care has been taken of filtering, placement etc. I compare sometimes with very expensive commercial stuff and I just smile when I hear these.

Anyway you have to try for yourself and that is part of the fun.
Kind regards,
EddieV

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.