Home ANK AudioKits Forum

ANK AudioKits support forum

RE: It may not be the tube

Thanks for posting a reply. My conclusion were drawn from both measurements and consulting several people on different forums, and also speaking to a very experienced audiophile who has built many amps. Even the people at Sophia Electric recommended I switch to the Carbon Princess, which I did. The problem is not the lower current operating point in itself, it is trying to get an optimum operating point at a lower current using Kit-1. There are many factors that determine where the tube can and should be operated, including the B+ voltage and the output transformer load. Not just the cathode resistor. The AN Kit-1 is a self biased circuit and B+ is fixed at close to 450V with a 5U4GB rectifier. The output transformer has a DC resistance of about 130 ohms and a musical impedance of 2.7K ohms. Given these limitations just changing the cathode resistors does indeed increase the distortion at full power. If I could change the output transformers, or the B+ than that would be a different story. A higher output transformer impedance and lower B+ will indeed work very well at lower currents with lower distortion. If you have an suggestions on how to achieve a lower current without having to make major (expensive) modifications to my kit-1 I would be very appreciative. Thanks again for your guidance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.