Home ANK AudioKits Forum

ANK AudioKits support forum

RE: Resistor power rating analog board DAC kit 4.1

Thanks for your response Bob.

My DAC already has quite some "milage" ;-) (few 100 of hours)

It's a bit hard for me to understand that replacing the Mundorf caps in the power supply with oil caps does increase detailing. As the AN oil caps in the signal path normally warm up the sound with less detail compared to the Mundorfs.

What was a great upgrade in my DAC was the swap of the coupling cap (AN copper foil mylar/oil) for a Duelund VSF-CU cap. Loads more detail, "air" and depth, but still very nice midrange with enough warmth, extremely good bass. Before the Duelund I have tried the V-Cap CuTF, that was horrible... I gave it lots of playtime, but with this cap my DAC refused to play MUSIC. Loads of detail, but no music...

I will try a mix of Charcroft, Amtrans AMGR and perhaps also Shinkoh tants. I like it when the sound is a little on the warm side, so I will use the carbon Amtrans as plate load resistor, where it can shine. Charcroft in the signal path, as it seems to be the most "wire like" resistor you can get.

At this moment (with the AN tants, Duelund coupling cap and Philips E182CC) my DAC is almost as neutral as it can get. When the recording is warm sounding, it sounds warm, when the recording is harsh it sounds harsh, etc. I like it a little more "rounded" but I definatly don't want to loose the loads of detail and "air" I gained with the Duelund. I "think" I can reach my goal with different resistors, as they don't have massive influence on sound, but they can smooth out a little bit.

Mark.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.