Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

After awhile, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE passive/active thoughts

Some hours, maybe 100, or 200 I should have tracked it but I've had this preamp for awhile.

Never heard passive amps before , this is thin sounding but with extreme detail. What I mean by thin sounding is the sound doesn't burst at the listener so to speak. Laid back, quiet, no oomph. Bass is tight, but not as in your face overwhelming the listener ..

All I could compare it to was a Bel Canto Pre3. So yeah the heavy metal rock or rap concert bass went away, I am left with a clean laid back thin sound that has lots of detail. Very strange sound compared to what I am used to. I'll let my ears adjust, sometimes these things take time. I am thinking more time to settle right now, but so far not what I am used to at all. Sounds very real, just not as in my face as the Bel Canto Pre3. Amp used is a Merrill Audio Taranis, speakers are Gallo Ref 3.5, source Auralic Vega DAC fed by a Sonos connect using lossless streaming (Deezer eLiTe).

Highs are not harsh at all, surprising for digital, a hard sound too. Again much more detail that I have heard in my system. Initial thought is I am missing something, however maybe I am not and this is how real sounding it can get. Like the difference between mastering with Compression which is what I was used to, to something more true to the source mixing board.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - After awhile, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE passive/active thoughts - bullethead 09:41:03 02/11/17 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.