Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: First impression of the Schiit Freya

I'm getting acclimated to the sound so that the tube magic that I heard when I first listened to them seems "normal" to me now. I'm listening to Brahms' Second Symphony as I write this and it's mostly mid-range that's robust and detailed. I can't really comment that much on the lows because that's the Maggies' Achilles heal and I seldom listen to music with that much bass... I just do not have the experience to comment on it much. But in listening to Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" CD, everything appears pretty much in order in respect to the bass guitar and sax, but maybe a little rolled off when it comes to the cymbals (this may be in the recording since it's been 5-10 years since I last listened to it). The brightness that I've been hearing is in CERTAIN female choral and CERTAIN piano passages that I do not think need be in that high of a frequency range, but more of a higher midrange glare. It a little strange because in some recordings these things sound just fine, and I never heard this type of a distinction with my passive amp.

I just ordered some RCA 6SN7GTB getter tubes that should tame the brightness with its warmth, and from what I've been told its "bountiful midrange."

Question: The tubes I just bought to mess around with are not matched. Can I just plug them into the preamp as are without destroying anything?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Humility is the true mark of genius. Just get used to it."
-Anonymous

Edits: 01/12/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.