Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: More Confused Every Day

An "Audiophile" is simply someone who enjoys listening to music through equipment that sounds good to him or her ... you fit the description perfectly, from reading your post.

It has nothing to do with money and a High Fidelity sound system is not an expression of money paid out. It describes a system built with Sound Quality as it's primary criteria. You can do that with a $5 garage sale tube radio, as you have discovered. You prefer certain radios and you prefer them due to the Sound Quality they offer. Bingo. That's all the boxes, checked.

My advice is to purchase something used, or perhaps more specifically the electronics portion used. If you can get good speakers in the second hand market, all the better, but modern loudspeakers offer outstanding quality at pretty much every price point.

The reason is not so much about value ... although that is a feature ... but more about getting started. If you are unsure, then the best way to deal with that is to minimize your potential loss should you decide to revisit your decision. A good used integrated tube-based amp should probably re-sell for about the same as what you might pay to acquire it in the first place.

Later, once you get a frame of reference (what you end up with and listen to in your home) then you can audition other options if you want, or just stay with what you have.

$1000 for a tube based simple system is not a huge amount, when looking at the market overall. Still, it's not an impossible task. Better still, you can get great sound with that kind of investment.

Where someone like myself has an advantage over someone like yourself is I know when a great deal presents itself and know to pull the trigger immediately. You should probably take more time and choose more carefully. Don't worry ... you can still get a great deal. After all, I already own a system; I'm not looking to snipe one from under you. Many of those who seek good sound are in the same boat. We can only listen to one system at a time, after all.

Good luck.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: More Confused Every Day - gordguide 11:49:52 01/10/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.