Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Dynaco MKIII tube amp

I have no experience with this vendor. I do have considerable experience with Dynaco gear, however. Those MKIIIs do look as if they are competently rebuilt with Russian and film capacitors in the signal path and electrolytics in the power supply. I am somewhat put off by the negative editorializing about more recent developments in circuit design and power supply capacitors. I would never use Sprague Atoms or Authenticaps in my own gear. Both of these are electrolytics and as a DIYer I have banished all electrolytics from my amps in favor of MKP. Further, I have had Sprague Atoms fail right out of the box.

So in my assessment those amps are probably good mid-fi amps. They will sound good and be reliable, but not exactly what some consider hi-end. The best of the Dynaco resto-mods will break out the two functions of the 6AN8 into two tubes, a pentode and a double triode. By breaking the two functions into two tube you have a huge range of possibilities as to which tubes to use which can substantially increase fidelity. Further, in the 21C. the use of electrolytic caps is like putting bias ply tires on your BMW or Mercedes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.