Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Class D -- Thanks, All, and I'll Come Clean . . .

"My tech reacts to my system with, "Why don't you get a modern powered sub that sets up everything for you?" to which I reply, "Well, but you keep telling me [he does] that class d emits noise, and all these modern powered subs use class d," to which he shrugs."

When only used for subs it is not so bad because they can't even begin to reproduce it. However I would keep those speaker wires away from your signal cables. Note that I am no "audiophool" AT ALL. I know electronics and am very pragmatic about it. I would almost say to use greenfield for the speaker wires but I think that is overkill. (greenfield is a loaded flexible metal conduit, called greenfield by electricians because it does not provide a legal ground and therefore needs a green wire, so it has white, black and green, and I would connect the speaker end of the green wire firmly to the greenfield) Still overkill. You could take small inductors (in value, not guage) in series with the speaker leads right at the amp as well, in fact those big huge ferrite beads might even work.

If you are worried about EMI or RFI disturbing your system you could place the amps right near the subs. That should minimize it though it makes for a different set of wiring problems. There are reasons that you might want to leave a class AB amp running all the time, in fact I do it sometimes. The bias is all settled, it sounds good, sure. But there will be no difference with a class D, they sound the same almost no matter what. Well temperaturewise anyway. Loads can definitely affect them and sometime in not so good ways. But you gain nothing by leaving them on all the time except for eating the lead free solder off of the output filter components and risking a failure due to the ensuing instability.

Also beware of the power handling of the subs. I know a guy hooked up a QSC in bridged mode which made 1,300 watts and the speaker caught on fire. Literally. But then there is another thing, as you make the cone move more you are going to get more odd order distortion. Even if they have the magnetic field perfect (which they don't) the suspension starts causing it, or breaking. I tore the rubber right off a sub with the old Flame Linear a year or so ago. Damn thing still sounded good up until then. Maybe it had something to do with that 1,000:1 damping factor. lol

So if you want more, you might want to look into more subs if you have the room. The problem is placing and phasing them right.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Class D -- Thanks, All, and I'll Come Clean . . . - JURB 16:48:37 12/20/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.