Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

little triode preamps, buffers or headphone amp/buffer ?

Nice link to begin understanding these little devices...

Do you need a tube preamp or one of the so-called "sweetening" buffers without any controls ? What exactly are you trying to accomplish ? Can you let us know which gear u r matching to which gear ? The responses could become much more helpful, as the little buffers have little utility, no controls and no versatility. Nevertheless, there was a well reviewed and heavily copied Musical Fidelity X-10D "buffer" type in that cool looking, long round can. Of course, many copies of the PCBoard are now available. But, why ? With only Line In and Line Out, you would be either liking or disliking the "added" sonics. For a cold sounding CD player or digital source, this could actually be "helpful."

Then, there are little tube preamps, some with two "special" 7 pin USSR or Chinese triodes. Some keep it simpler with one dual triode. Some of those have some switching and gain available. At least, with these you get a bit of gain, low impedance output, plus a stereo level control. Still, what if the sonics don't help your needs ?

Finally, consider the slightly larger, little tube headphone amp/preamp types which seem to have been "started" by the Indeed company. The Indeed G2, that's Generation 2, began including switching inputs from either a front mounted stereo 3.5mm jack or rear mounted RCA input jacks. Outputs are either the other rear-mounted RCA jacks or switch to headphones by simply plugging headhone in. They have gain, better than decent hybrid sound and their front mounted stereo volume control tracks gain/balance well. Then, they can switch between 6V 6922/6DJ8 types and 12V 12AU7 types ! Sounding versatile yet ? The sound with headphones at 32 Ohms or higher is quite nice. Run through the stereo can be very nice.

What is their best "feature" you ask ? With a good amount of low distortion gain available, for low to high impedances, their drive abilities are admirable. In other words, some of these tube headphone amps, like the even less expensive Bravo or Little Bear, are actually versatile little headphone amps and/or stereo preamps. Now, the crucial question: Will these satisfy your "matching" needs and sound quality needs ? Well, since they can be snatched for $40. to $75. shipped to the USA, a trial might be just what the doctor ordered...

Considering that the "used" market can be a good indicator, if you check the bay for used examples of these hybrid headphone amps, it should not surprise you if only a few are available near now "new" cost. The first one I bought, went to my daughter for her headphone needs. She still keeps it around and uses it a few years later.

The third unit, I kept the second, went to my sunny (son-in-law). He prefers the Indeed G2 headphone sound over any solid-state headphone amp he has heard; he has heard many and he has owned two ss types. When I showed him the preamp ability, that is the new main usage for him. He uses a battery ss h/phone amp for commuting days and plugs in his digital sources to the hybrid at night and on weekends. Thus, his hybrid headphone amp acts like an audio sweetening buffer, plus a sweet sounding preamp to "drive" his stereo EL-84 tube amp. His wife, my other daughter, plays music through it during the day and night as well. They simply enjoy it very much and now thank me for it all the time...

For all the doubters, try it, you might like it...There are two caveats. First, some of these come with switching power supplies, which can cause hum if used on the same house electrical circuit as your record playing system. When spinning records, simply unplug the switching power supply. Also, the heatsink mounted devices do run hot to the touch; but they do not melt the plastic cases or discolor the boards. Try these versatile hybrid headphone amps...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.