Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Power amps, and 7.1 denon

I don't want to throw a wet blanket on your plan, but I think maybe the Denon receiver, used as a preamp, might not sound too pretty with higher-power, or more resolving components downstream. If you see what I'm saying, more power will amplify a slightly dull, grungy signal to the point where you can really hear it, warts and all.

That said, you'll probably upgrade some day, and why not get a great power amp to drive your front L/R speaks, or better L/C/R, now? It's a step. I like the recommendation for Bryston- they are super clean and very long-lived so good deal if you can find a decent one used.

I am running a 3 x 200w/ch Adcom GFA-5503 which is very clean and has seemingly unlimited punch, a design by Nelson Pass, one of the great amplifier gurus. Not the perfect amp, it lacks the last word in inner detail and space around the instruments, but it's solid and inexpensive- I bought a real nice one on Audiogon for 600 bucks.

A while before, I had a Parasound HAC-1205, 5-channel amp using it bi-wire on the front L/R + 1 ch on C, giving 600+ watts total. It was likewise very clean, solid, smooth and sweet through the midrange. A design by another guru, John Curl.

I've never heard them but the Emotiva amps have a super enthusiastic following and lots of watts for the price. You can score an XPA-3 3-channel monster for like $750.

Older amps can deteriorate, the big expensive capacitors in the power supply can rot. Look for toroidal transformers- the E-I laminated ones can delaminate and start to physically buzz. But I have had good luck with the ones above, they're made in a class like military gear.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.